Working from home is not as easy as it sounds, especially if you have kids! Here’s what a typical day looks like when I try to paint with my kids around:
We all had our share of laughs making this video, but all joking aside every conversation and event captured in this video usually occures several times a day, everyday!
It wasn’t always like this though.
Our family life had changed now that the girls were older, and it was effecting my business!
As I mentioned at the end of the video, I’ve had to re-evaluate my daily habits, and adjust them to better serve my family while continuing to get work done.
This was a VERY difficult reality I had to accept. Like most people I’m a creature of habit, and I find it super hard to break a habit.
There was one habit in particular I needed to change which really surprised me!
It was also the most important one I had to change.
All give you a hint it has something to do with my shows! Read on to find out:)
The Reason for Change
This past year I’ve shift my mind set to selling and teaching online, and to cut back on shows so I can be at home more for my girls. (You would think after watching the video I would want to do more shows not less! Hee hee)
I realized last year I missed too many important milestones in my kids lives such as, soccer games, basketball games, homecoming, birthdays, Christmas parties, and more. This was never an issue for me when they were younger. I was ok with leaving them for the weekend when they were babies and toddlers. All I missed was nap time, and figured they would never remember me being away a day or two at that age.
That is not the case anymore.
So many of their events happen on the weekend, and it devastates me to see how crushed they are when I miss them.
This was all the motivation I needed to make the necessary changes in my life!
What I Changed to Succeed at Both My Family and My Business
When you’re in charge of your own business it can be hard to know when to make a change. Sometimes it just sneaks up on you! When I find myself frustrated repeatedly day after day that’s a sign something needs to change, and it’s time to figure out how to make it better!
In my current situation I needed to find a way to work more from home with my family around.
Here are 8 habits I changed to make my days more productive:
- I now paint when my kids are at school or after they have gone to bed.
- I also recently realize I need to tape, and record my art videos when my kids are at school.
- I save all the house and family chores to do when the kids are at home.
- I always communicate with my husband, Mike. He is a lifesaver and always helps out. (He works in construction as a Quality Control Manager of a paving plant. His days are busiest in the summer!)
- I have excepted the workspace I’m in, and will make it work. (For a long time I put off making videos for the perfect studio space.)
- I add up how many hours I have during the day without my kids or husband around and write down a to do list that is reasonable to accomplish in that amount of time. (No more unrealistic goals to fail, which would always discourage me from doing more.)
- If my daily plan falls apart by something unexpected I don’t let it ruin me because I failed to accomplish all my goals, and to be happy with what I do get accomplished (No matter how small it seemed to be). This was a much needed mind set change!
The hardest habit of all to change was:
- Focusing more on course creation for my online classes and less on art shows!
This one really surprise me because I was so psyched to make videos. Yet, I found myself repeatedly reverting back to filling up my day with more prep work for show because I just kept signing up for more shows! I was sabotaging myself!
Guess what I realized?
It was easier to fall back into an old familiar patterns then to develop new ones. New ones I didn’t yet fully understand or have mastered. Ones I know I’ll make mistakes in and will have to fix. Ones that made me feel so self conscious and insecure.
Once I had this revelation of what was holding me back I was able to change my habits.
I often find the physical work in my day to be the easy part. I personally like to keep busy. I also find it easier to adjust these habits. Where I get stuck are the mental blocks, and making those changes can be such a challenge!
How about you?
Do you work from home with kids around?
What is your day like?
I wanna hear in the comment section below!
Tell me your funny story or big ah-ha moment when you realized you needed to make a change, and how making that change has help.
See What Happens Next!
What to know more on how to market, manage, and sell your own art? Sign up below: